New Zealand-based Neutron Parts simply launched a nifty emergency bleed equipment system for on-the-go hydraulic brake tune-ups. We acquired our palms on one forward of its launch to see if it’s worthy of a spot in our restore equipment. Discover our overview of the Neutron Parts Emergency Brake Bleed Equipment right here…
Like most nice concepts, Neutron Parts was born in a storage. In 2020, the Taupо̄, New Zealand-based model launched their Oh Sh!t Equipment, a whole software equipment that stashes away in your handlebar, and in 2021, they added an ultralight first support equipment to their small product line. Since then, they’ve been fairly quiet and haven’t introduced any new merchandise, so we had been joyful to listen to from Neutron’s Founder and Engineer Mike Boys, who tell us about an attention-grabbing new product within the works.
The brand new Neutron Parts Emergency Brake Bleed Equipment is strictly what it feels like. It’s a conveyable, light-weight bleed equipment for trailside hydraulic brake tune-ups. Though mid-ride brake bleeds aren’t generally wanted, we noticed the equipment as a wise inclusion for longer, extra distant journeys when attending to a motorbike store with the correct instruments for a correct bleed is out of the query. I’ve at all times had fairly good luck with hydraulic brakes whereas bikepacking, however I can see the good thing about not less than having the choice to service the brakes if required.
The brake bleed equipment is a straightforward software. The equipment itself consists of a small CNC-machined aluminum bottle with two threaded caps on both finish. On the smaller finish, there’s an M5 threaded nozzle that matches up with each Shimano and SRAM levers (excluding SRAM’s new DB8 mineral oil levers, which have a unique thread), and on the bigger finish is an even bigger fill cap. Each ends are sealed with DOT and mineral oil-safe O-rings and maintain tight so there isn’t a unintentional leakage.
To make use of the equipment, you merely fill the bottle together with your required brake fluid just under the threaded part contained in the bottle. The concept is that you simply do that earlier than your journey after which carry the equipment together with you as a part of your restore equipment. If air one way or the other enters your brake system and your brake lever begins to really feel squishy or mushy, you’ll be able to impress your entire pals together with your new emergency brake bleed equipment. Listed below are the steps on methods to use the equipment, straight from Neutron Parts.
An Emergency Brake Bleed
1. Unscrew the brake bleed plug out of your lever bleed port, making certain that you simply take away the O-ring together with it.
2. Take away the small finish cap from the emergency bleed equipment.
3. Screw the bleed equipment into your brake lever till you’re feeling the O-ring begin to compress.
4. Holding the bleed equipment physique steadily, unscrew the massive finish cap.
5. Squeeze your lever, awaiting any small air bubbles escaping into the bleed equipment physique. Launch the lever, then squeeze once more, till no bubbles seem.
6. Reverse the above steps to take away the bleed equipment and substitute the bleed plug on the lever. It’s a good suggestion to have a small rag or towel available for when the equipment is faraway from the lever to take in any extra fluid.
Optionally available: The night time earlier than bleeding your brake, safe your lever within the “squeezed” place with a zipper tie or shoelace. This can assist draw any trapped air as much as the bleed port, making for a neater and simpler bleed.
Put up-Bleed Ideas
As somebody who brings their bike into the store for brake bleeds and hydraulic brake servicing, I appreciated the thought of a easy bleed equipment for at-home service. I additionally spend a number of months annually in our cargo van, so having a easy answer whereas touring can also be engaging.
The Neutron Emergency Bleed Equipment is primary however thoughtfully designed and machined. It feels stable, the threads are clean, and the included O-rings make certain every little thing seals up properly to keep away from undesirable leakage. The knurled end on each caps is a pleasant contact, and Neutron’s directions are clear and straightforward to observe. Apart from it truly working, I feel the primary promoting level is its portability and ease. You don’t have to have any expertise with brake bleeds to know how the equipment works, and there’s likelihood it would take away some undesirable squish out of your lever.
- Easy but efficient for eradicating air from brake methods
- Works with DOT and mineral fluid
- Moveable and light-weight
- Simple to make use of, even for the novice residence mechanic
- Gained’t work on all brakes
- Not a good suggestion to swap between fluid varieties
- Gained’t substitute a correct brake bleed
- Materials: CNC Machined Aluminum
- Weight: 18 grams empty / 25 grams full
- Place of Manufacture: China
- Worth: $30 USD ($49 NZD)
- Producer’s Particulars: AscendOutdoors.co.nz
Neutron Parts’ Emergency Brake Bleed Equipment is an superior new product and a house run for the New Zealand-based model. I might see the equipment coming together with me on distant bikepacking journeys and even huge day rides within the mountains, offering one other stable layer of protection in opposition to ride-ending mechanicals. I’m joyful to report that my take a look at improved the texture of the rear brake and proved to be useless easy to make use of. Now, I simply want one other equipment for DOT fluid so I will be everybody’s favorite path angel.
The Bleed Equipment in Motion
Neil additionally examined out the bleed equipment forward of its launch, and he put collectively a extra detailed video exhibiting the software in motion. You may watch it beneath.
Please hold the dialog civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your remark will probably be eliminated.