–JdK– Andrew within the UK just lately purchased himself a 1927/28 Mannequin 18 Norton and spent the night giving it an excellent clear with paraffin and it’s developing very nicely.
Simon had a have a look at the despatch guide information and the state of affairs is mainly that the bike began off with engine quantity 33xxx and body 26xxx. It was despatched in March 1927 to a vendor known as Ingle in Ripley and he delivered it to his buyer Mr E Lomas of Sheffield on 25/3/27. It was fitted with a magdyno and the throttle/air management had been of the sort which opens inwards – typical fitment for Nortons on the time was for these levers to open outwards. The engine now in it 39xxx was initially fitted to a 1928 Mannequin 18 with body quantity 32xxx. It was despatched in April 1928 however the vendor’s/buyer’s names are illegible.
Andrew thinks it has been utilized in competitors because of issues he have discovered and elements he collected with it. Some examples under:-
- Levers have had ball ends brazed on.
- Later carb – Brass Brown & Barlow in field of bits.
- Later ML Lister KN1 magneto fitted – do not have outdated one however it could have had a Lucas MDB1 magazine/dyno and lights.
- Lights eliminated – Headlight & taillight and change in field of bits however lacking ammeter.
- Early straight pull throttle.
- Numerous gadgets have been lock wired.
- Numerous bits have drilled holes in.
- Gear linkage modified to foot (1 down, 2 up).
- Packing containers of spare gearboxes.
The bike was bought on 21 March 1966 by Harry William Swingler, Manor Home, Stathern, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. It then handed to his son Julian in 2/10/2008 who by no means had it working and has now died. Andrew purchased it from the property.
It might be nice if extra info is perhaps gained of its historical past, please contact us when you realize this bike.