This was the First Gear column written by Editor-in-Chief Greg Drevenstedt for the February 2023 difficulty of Rider. The journal’s guardian firm runs MyVoiceRewards, an ongoing panel survey that rewards members with present playing cards for finishing surveys.
Motorcyclists are a choose group. In accordance with the Bike Business Council, there have been 10.4 million U.S. motorbike house owners in 2020, which is simply 3.1% of the 331,449,281 Individuals recorded within the census.
Motorcyclists are additionally a misunderstood group. We take part in a healthful, enjoyable, skill-based exercise, however most of our fellow residents assume we’re loopy for doing so. They imagine now we have a loss of life want, however the truth is, the other is true. Using a motorbike makes us really feel alive. We benefit from the sensations, the escape, the liberty, the problem, the fun – and sure, the chance.
Regardless of persistent stereotypes, few of us are hell-raising outlaws or adrenaline-fueled daredevils. On common, motorcyclists are typically older males, principally married guys with households, jobs, and mortgages. However that’s altering. In accordance with the MIC, the proportion of motorcyclists who’re feminine elevated from 6% in 1990 to 19% in 2018.
Each couple of years, Rider conducts a reader survey to assist us get to know you higher. Simply as we recognize the emails and letters we obtain from our readers, we additionally worth suggestions we obtain by surveys. I’d like to increase a private due to the two,010 of you who accomplished our 2022 survey.
From the responses, we all know that 79% of our readers are married, 81% have a university diploma or have attended a vocational college, 65% have a family revenue of $75,000 or above, and 30% are energetic army or veterans.
A couple of-third (37%) of you personal only one motorbike, however 27% personal two, 14percentown three, and 20% personal 4 or extra. BMW, Harley-Davidson, and Honda are the most well-liked manufacturers, however each main model from Aprilia to Zero is represented amongst our readers.
By way of kind of bikes owned, the most well-liked are touring (37%), sport-touring (31%), journey (27%), cruiser (25%), bare/normal (17%), dual-sport (16%), and classic (12%). However let’s not pass over dirtbikes (9%), scooters (6%), sportbikes (4%), trikes (4%), sidecars (1.5%), and electrical bikes (<1%). (The full provides to greater than 100% as a result of respondents might choose multiple kind.)
Our readers are skilled riders: 87% of you’ve been driving for 20 years or longer, and eight% have been driving for 11-20 years. When readers have been requested to rank the first use of their motorbike(s), the best choice was day rides/pleasure, adopted by mild touring/weekends, touring, journey touring, commuting, and off-road.
Previously yr, 24% of you rode lower than 3,000 miles, 31% rode 3,000-5,999 miles, 23% rode 6,000-9,000 miles, 20% rode 10,000-24,999 miles, and a extremely devoted 2% rode 25,000 miles or extra.
Along with our reader survey, our guardian firm conducts analysis on all powersports segments by a program referred to as MyVoiceRewards. You could have obtained an electronic mail from us or seen adverts within the journal, our e-newsletter, or on our web site inviting you to hitch. Almost 2,000 of you’ve signed up up to now, and folk who take surveys earn present playing cards for his or her participation.
Since final March, the MyVoiceRewards workforce has carried out motorcycle-related surveys about helmets, jackets, tires, audio, service and upkeep, occasions and rallies, ride-assist expertise, and trip sharing/leases. As a former quantity cruncher, I get pleasure from digging into the outcomes and pulling out attention-grabbing nuggets of information, equivalent to the next:
- 91% put on a motorbike helmet on a regular basis, 7% put on one some or more often than not, and a pair of% not often put on one.
- Full-face (41%) and modular (30%) are the most well-liked kinds of helmets. 92% personal two or extra motorbike helmets (30% personal 5 or extra –that’s numerous lids!).
- 90% personal two or extra motorbike jackets (7% personal 5 or extra).
- When shopping for motorbike tires, 72% anticipate to pay between $100 and $200 per tire.
- 45% purchase motorbike tires by a seller, whereas 41% purchase them on-line and 11% purchase them from a mechanic.
- By way of ride-assist applied sciences, 72% personal a motorbike geared up with ABS, 39% with traction management, 38% with trip modes, and 30% with tire-pressure monitoring.
- 65% hearken to music or podcasts after they trip. 65% use a helmet communication system, 36% use an audio/stereo system with audio system, and 19% use earbuds.
- 42% do their very own motorbike upkeep, 38% depend on sellers, 11% go to unbiased restore outlets, and seven% have buddies or relations work on their bike (I hope that 7% of you present the pizza and beer!).
- 37% attended a motorbike occasion or rally up to now yr, and 52% attended one up to now 1-5 years.
- The most well-liked actions at occasions or rallies are bike exhibits (71%), demo rides (71%), meals and beverage (65%), native tourism (65%), group rides (53%), and stay music (52%).
- 42% are aware of peer-to-peer motorbike rental packages, and 52% assume motorbike trip sharing will develop in recognition, however lower than 2% hire out their very own motorbike to others.