Kyle Seifert transforms a “fallen” ZRX right into a 70s-inspired beast…
Launched in 2001, the Kawasaki ZRX1200R was a burly, big-bore muscle bike whose retro model and big-block energy harked again on to the Eddie Lawson replicas of the early ’80s…with out costing a king’s ransom:
“The 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R is a unbelievable motorbike. The successor to the ZRX1100 (which was on Cycle World’s ten greatest record for 2000, and gathered different accolades) has been bored, stroked, tuned and tweaked to create a machine that’s so entertaining, and performs so nicely, it’s exhausting to consider that Kawasaki costs this machine at solely $7,899.00 MSRP.” –Motorbike Day by day
Although the ZRX seemed decidedly retro, the 1164cc engine was from the ZX-11, boasting an aluminum block, liquid-cooling, and 36mm Keihin carbs with Kawasaki’s throttle-responsive ignition management (Ok-TRIC) for higher throttle response. The outcome was 123 bhp and almost 83 lb-ft of torque — a beast!
Enter our new pal Kyle Seifert (@Jesushoovy), a younger man who started using a Honda CBR250R to / from school and owned a succession of various bikes earlier than selecting up his first ZRX firstly of the pandemic…now he has three within the storage:
“I’ve since dubbed it the ‘ZRX Sanctuary’ and hope to extend the rely quickly. My workshop for my machines is my father’s storage — kitted out with a plastic folding desk and Ryobi instruments. It amazes me simply how a lot I’ve been in a position to accomplish with such a minimal setup.”
Kyle determined to construct a extra aggressive 70s-inspired customized to enhance his extra stock-appearing ZRX, utilizing a barely beat-up 2001 donor:
“The design idea for this construct was to create a motorcycle that took the high-tail look from the Japanese Muscle Bikes of the 70’s-80’s and pair it with a extra classical cafe entrance finish. I loved taking the inventory ZRX platform and stripping it right down to look extra like a thicker 70’s KZ1000.”
Nicknamed “Aki” as each a shortening of Kawasaki and the Japanese phrase for “fall” — in spite of everything, the donor had had fairly a couple of falls earlier than it entered Kyle’s ZRX Sanctuary — this ZRX1200R cafe racer / muscle bike weighs 71 lbs lower than inventory (!) and must be make 125-135 whp primarily based on the same setups. As you may think about, this one-of-a-kind ZRX not solely appears beautiful, however the efficiency enhance is instantly obvious from the saddle:
“Aki is an absolute dream to journey…What I actually love is how simple it’s to take corners, because of the lighter ZX10 wheels. I journey this bike very often, so it’s positively not only a present construct.”
Beneath, we discuss to Kyle for the complete story on the construct, which has been invited to The Handbuilt Motorbike Present later this month — congrats and well-deserved, Kyle! We’ll make sure that our photographer will get some good photographs of it on the present!
ZRX1200 Café Racer: Builder Interview
• Please inform us a bit about your self, your historical past with bikes, and your workshop.
My title is Kyle Seifert, and I’m nonetheless fairly new to the bike scene. My first motorbike was a CBR250R I rode to and from school. I’ve had a couple of bikes since then (‘75 KZ400, ‘07 KLX250, ‘16 FZ-07), however I’ve lastly landed on an important, quick, dependable and CHEAP platform for my wrenching — the ZRX.
I bought my first ZRX within the very early days of the pandemic and took the additional time without work within the storage to start modifying the bike. I saved it largely inventory, however modified up the jetting, airbox, throttle, and wheels. Earlier than I knew it, I had two extra ZRXs within the storage with elements flying round between the three. I’ve since dubbed it the “ZRX Sanctuary” and hope to extend the rely quickly. My workshop for my machines is my father’s storage — kitted out with a plastic folding desk and Ryobi instruments. It amazes me simply how a lot I’ve been in a position to accomplish with such a minimal setup.
• What’s the make, mannequin, and 12 months of the donor bike?
The donor bike is a 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R.
• Why was this bike constructed?
I constructed this bike to be a distinct, extra aggressive styled ZRX to enhance my different, extra inventory construct. This was a purely private challenge (no sponsors, simply my very own pocket change). I aimed to make it extra track-focused, therefore the closely upgraded brakes, suspension, and wheels when in comparison with the inventory setup.
• What was the design idea and what influenced the construct?
The design idea for this construct was to create a motorcycle that took the high-tail look from the Japanese Muscle Bikes of the 70’s-80’s and pair it with a extra classical cafe entrance finish. I loved taking the inventory ZRX platform and stripping it right down to look extra like a thicker 70’s KZ1000.
• What customized work was achieved to the bike?
- Revival secret LED 7” retro classic headlight
- Revival pancake headlight bucket
- Rise Corp. adjustable headlight bracket
- Nitro Racing warmth polished full titanium exhaust system
- Nitro Racing exhaust bracket modified by Clark Creations to suit Moriwaki rearsets
- Moriwaki Engineering billet rearsets
- Stites ZRX to ZX14 billet triples
- 2010 ZX14 entrance forks
- 2007 ZX10 Wheels powdercoated metallic black
- Galfer wavy rotors for ZX10 mounted to the entrance and rear
- Radial monoblock Brembo calipers
- Customized brake hanger mount for ZX10 rear brake
- Rear brake reservoir delete
- 2021 ZX14 entrance radial grasp cylinders (Brembo brake, Nissin clutch)
- AC Efficiency Line chrome steel brake and clutch strains
- Swingarm rebuild with new bearings and powdercoated gloss black
- Chopped body to suit a customized carbon fiber shortened tail
- Customized carbon fiber aspect fairings
- Customized carbon fiber Seat Pan w/ customized diamond stitched seat
- Customized carbon fiber Battery Tray for light-weight lithium battery
- Customized carbon fiber Electronics Tray
- Inventory tank repaired and repainted with customized livery by Correct Moto w/ TWM billet tank cap
- Ducati Monster S4R Carbon Fiber entrance fender tailored to ZX14 forks with aluminum mounts and titanium fasteners
- Daytona DEVA-01 slim digital sprint
- Built-in taillight
- GSG MOTOTECHNIK Skeleton Clutch Cowl
- Customized Skeleton Pulse Cowl
- ELS honeycomb mesh +4 diploma advancer
- Wrinkle crimson powdercoated valve cowl w/ Muzzy billet emissions covers
- James Compton Customs guide cam chain tensioner
- James Compton Customs skeleton counter shaft cowl
- James Compton Customs steering stem nut
- Ok-Manufacturing facility billet giant piston clutch launch
- Customized billet engine breather cowl w/ titanium fasteners by WNV Engineering
- Airbox eliminated and changed with pod filters
- Sigma6 Jet Equipment put in for filters and free flowing exhaust
- Posh excessive throttle package
- Lively Racing kill swap and ignition controls
- Steering dampener
- Customized slim radiator shroud
• Does the bike have a nickname?
I named this bike “Aki,” which is each a shortening of the title “Kawasaki” and in addition the Japanese phrase for “fall”. The bike was initially not in the most effective form, having been in a couple of “falls” and I initially fell in love with the ZRX platform once I purchased my ‘99 1100 within the “fall”.
• Any concept of horsepower, weight, and/or efficiency numbers?
I haven’t had the prospect to make it to a dyno, however different bikes with related consumption/exhaust/jetting setups make between 125 – 135 WHP. The burden, nonetheless, is one thing I’ve measured alongside the best way and it’s one thing I take a number of satisfaction in — I used to be in a position to carve 71 lbs off the bike. I weighed it in with a full tank of fuel in her inventory kind at 531lbs. Now, with my modifications, she’s right down to solely 460lbs with a full tank. I’ve plans to maintain dropping that quantity, however that’s the place she sits at this second.
• Are you able to inform us what it’s wish to journey this bike?
Aki is an absolute dream to journey. The huge open Nitro Racing titanium exhaust sings at excessive RPMs and growls down low. The upgraded throttle paired with the right jetting on the carbs offers a really snappy and attentive journey, and the five-speed transmission, whereas positively lacking a gear, shifts like butter. What I actually love is how simple it’s to take corners, because of the lighter ZX10 wheels. I journey this bike very often, so it’s positively not only a present construct.
• Was there something achieved throughout this construct that you’re notably happy with?
Above all, I’m very happy with my selection in elements and imaginative and prescient for the challenge. This was my first ever actually transformative construct, so it has been a unbelievable expertise studying what all goes into these machines. I have already got additional plans for Aki, so this isn’t in any respect a completed challenge. (Is there even such a factor?)
• Is there anybody you’d wish to thank?
I’d wish to thank my father for lending me the storage house to work on my passions, my shut pal Iori for the assistance alongside the best way and recommendation on construct course, my brother Tate and his pal CJ for the muscle when wanted, and my pal Pete for the assistance wiring a number of the extra complicated gadgets. Lastly, I need to thank the ZRXOA for the immense quantity of knowledge on these machines and the countless inspiration from others builds.
Comply with the Builder: @Jesushoovy