As an Amazon Affiliate DirtBikePlanet.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Consider it or not, some individuals don’t take pleasure in sand driving. I by no means used to myself, however that was solely as a result of I lacked confidence. As soon as you start making use of the suitable strategies and spend a while within the dunes, you’ll be amazed at how a lot smoother and quicker you’ll be. And rattling, it’s a lot enjoyable!
If you discover a sick place to experience it’s like being a child in a lolly-scramble… big sand bowls you possibly can tear aside… huge pure jumps and kickers you possibly can hit… extensive open areas to whip that entrance wheel up and do lengthy wheelies… and loads of hard-packed sand to put your bike over and do power-slides. Depraved!
Earlier than you do head out, take into account this stuff first:
- For the perfect driving circumstances, you need damp or moist sand. This makes it firmer offering higher traction and management.
- You positively desire a highly effective bike. Something lower than a 250cc two stroke and also you’ll most likely battle for energy. Although it’s all relative should you’re a 45kg midget.
- Drop the tyre strain all the way down to round 10 – 12 psi. This can make a noticeable distinction to your traction and management. Simply be sure you don’t hit any onerous objects (roots, rocks e.t.c) as chances are you’ll bugger the edges.
- Take refreshments. I additionally take pleasure in chilly root beer in my backpack, however only one or 2! However should you’re not that means inclined it’s best to nonetheless take a great deal of water. It’s thirsty work in these dunes esp. in summer season.
- Take loads of spare petrol. Driving within the sand requires you to be onerous on the throttle. Your bike will suck the gas again quicker than you possibly can end saying… “oh sh#! I simply ran out of gasoline!”
Sand Driving Suggestions:
- More often than not it’s best to have your physique place & weight additional again than should you have been driving dust or hard-pack. This retains the entrance wheel gliding over the shifty sand. For those who do dig it in, you’ll end up doing a fantastic impersonation of Superman over the deal with bars.
- Preserve the gasoline on! Within the early days of driving sand, your pure tendency might be to again off when the entrance wheel feels prefer it’s going to scrub out – this can solely make it worse. Holding the ability on propels you ahead and lifts the entrance wheel out of the comfortable sand. It provides you management over the path you are attempting to comply with.
- If you’re turning onerous, tight corners, shift your physique proper as much as the entrance of the bike. Make like to that petrol tank! This takes the load off the rear wheel permitting you to whip it round in a flurry of sand roost. Once more, maintain the throttle pinned and lean into the path you’re heading. When completed correctly this seems to be and feels sick!
- Keep in mind to make use of your legs to grip the bike as a lot as doable. This not solely stabilizes you over tough terrain however will relieve the strain in your arms.
Sand driving punishes your bike. Sand will get into each little nook and cranny. It should put on out transferring elements lots faster than regular. Ensure you wash your bike completely after each experience, and all the time clear the air filter . Use a lightweight CRC spray on the chain fairly than a thick chain lube. You don’t need sand clinging to the chain.