As an Amazon Affiliate DirtBikePlanet.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for a dust bike that matches inside a sure weight vary, however don’t know the place to begin? That’s what we’re right here for! Whether or not you’re searching for a motorbike that matches inside a sure weight parameter or needing to know what the common grime bike weight is generally, we might help you out.
The typical grime bike weight (when taking a median of all grime bikes, general) lands round 215 kilos. Averages for various or particular teams like engine ccs will differ.
On the lookout for extra data? I’ve included a listing of a few of the extra well-known fashions and their weights, sorted from heaviest to lightest, with some extra details about weight thrown in on the finish.
|#||DIRT BIKE MODEL||WEIGHT|
|1.||Honda XR650L||346 lbs|
|2.||Suzuki DR-Z400S||317 lbs|
|3.||Yamaha WR250R||278 lbs|
|4.||Yamaha WR250F||258 lbs|
|5.||Yamaha YZ250FX||249 lbs (curb)|
|6.||Honda CRF230F||249 lbs (curb)|
|7.||Suzuki RM-Z450||247 lbs|
|8.||Yamaha YZ250F||234 lbs|
|9.||Kawasaki KX250F||233.6 lbs|
|10.||Honda CRF450||233 lbs|
|11.||Suzuki RM-Z250||230.4 lbs|
|12.||Honda CRF250X||224.8 lbs|
|13.||Husqvarna FC350||223 lbs|
|14.||Kawasaki KX500||220.4 lbs|
|15.||KTM 250 XC-F||218.7 lbs|
|16.||Kawasaki KLX140||205 lbs|
|17.||KTM 250 Freeride F||203.9 lbs|
|18.||Honda CRF125F||194 lbs (curb)|
|19.||Kawasaki KLX110||165.5 lbs (curb)|
|20.||Kawasaki KX85||165 lbs|
|21.||Yamaha TT-R110E||159 lbs (moist)|
|22.||Yamaha TTR-50||126 lbs|
|23.||Suzuki DR-Z70||121 lbs (curb)|
|24.||KTM 65 SX||116.5 lbs|
|25.||Honda CRF50||110 lbs|
|26.||Yamaha PW50||90 lbs|
|27.||KTM 50 SX Mini||88.2 lbs|
Common Grownup Bike
The listing above contains grownup grime bikes and youngsters’s grime bikes, so I’ve separated them into two separate charts.
The typical general weight for an grownup grime bike is round 215 kilos, however this adjustments from 12 months to 12 months. The newer grime bikes coming off the manufacturing traces are sometimes lighter than their predecessors.
Nevertheless, that quantity will clearly be totally different for various groupings. For instance, KTM is understood for his or her mild bikes, and are sometimes virtually at all times the lightest of their class, so the common KTM grime bike goes to be lighter than say, a Yamaha.
|DIRT BIKE MODEL||WEIGHT|
|Honda XR650L||346 lbs|
|Suzuki DR-Z400S||317 lbs|
|Yamaha WR250R||278 lbs|
|Yamaha WR250F||258 lbs|
|Yamaha YZ250FX||249 lbs (curb)|
|Honda CRF230F||249 lbs (curb)|
|Suzuki RM-Z450||247 lbs|
|Yamaha YZ250F||234 lbs|
|Kawasaki KX250F||233.6 lbs|
|Honda CRF450||233 lbs|
|Suzuki RM-Z250||230.4 lbs|
|Honda CRF250X||224.8 lbs|
|Husqvarna FC350||223 lbs|
|Kawasaki KX500||220.4 lbs|
|KTM 250 XC-F||218.7 lbs|
The typical weight for a child’s grime bike is round 137.5 kilos, however, just like the grownup grime bikes, this common is continually altering as newer, lighter fashions are launched.
Child’s grime bikes are lighter for a few apparent causes. I imply, they’re smaller. Relying on the standard, they might be product of cheaper, lighter, however much less sturdy supplies. Additionally they will at all times have smaller gasoline tanks, which is able to take the burden off from the gasoline tank itself, and can enable for smaller quantities of gasoline which is able to take up much less weight than a full grownup tank.
Electrical grime bikes are sort of in a unique class of their very own. Since they run off a battery and electrical cost as a substitute of gasoline and different liquids, their weight doesn’t differ as a lot as a dust bike with an engine.
There are fairly a couple of youngsters’s grime bikes which are electrical fashions, and they’re going to usually be lighter than their gas-powered counterparts.
Electrical engineering has additionally been getting extra consideration lately in an effort to be extra “inexperienced”, so keep watch over electrical choices.
|DIRT BIKE MODEL||WEIGHT|
|Honda CRF125F||194 lbs (curb)|
|Kawasaki KLX110||165.5 lbs (curb)|
|Kawasaki KX85||165 lbs|
|Yamaha TT-R110E||159 lbs (moist)|
|Yamaha TTR-50||126 lbs|
|Suzuki DR-Z70||121 lbs (curb)|
|KTM 65 SX||116.5 lbs|
|Honda CRF50||110 lbs|
|Yamaha PW50||90 lbs|
|KTM 50 SX Mini||88.2 lbs|
Curb weight, or moist weight, is the burden of the bike when it has all of the fluids in it that it must run. Because of this the bike is weighed when it has a full tank of gasoline, the oil, water, coolant, and the rest the bike must run, relying on the sort of engine the bike has and the make and mannequin.
Whereas lots of the weights which have been beforehand taken of grime bikes are sometimes “dry” weight, many manufacturers and firms are realizing that this doesn’t actually give their riders helpful data, since they received’t ever be driving their bike on the dry weight.
As a consequence of this, a lot of them have began to change over to itemizing the “curb” or “moist” weight of the bikes as a substitute, which I believe is way more helpful information, particularly if you happen to’re a racer.
So if you find yourself on the market making an attempt to choose what bike is finest for you and your wants, search for the curb or moist weight. If at a place of work, ask the salesmen the burden, as a result of fluids can add extra weight than you suppose.
Dry weight is the burden of the bike, and ONLY the bike, with none of the gasoline, oil, and different fluids that the bike wants to have the ability to run. A dry bike can’t run.
Dry weight is usually the burden that’s listed for brand new bikes on the manufacture’s web sites, though some manufacturers are beginning to listing moist weight. For instance, KTM lists their bikes with their moist weight MINUS the burden of the gasoline, which varies anyway primarily based on how full you fill your tank, which, from a racing perspective, is way more helpful (for my part) than understanding the dry weight.
Heavier vs. Lighter Bikes
Dust bikes will sometimes get heavier the extra engine energy they’ve. One of the best ways to test that is to learn the way many “ccs” your bike has. For instance, does your grime bike have a 250cc engine? Or is it a 400cc grime bike? Cc is an abbreviated time period of measurement, quick for cubic centimeters. The larger the engine is, the heavier is it.
One thing else you need to use to slender down engines that may be within the weight “class” you need is the varieties of engines themselves that the bikes have. Dust bikes can have one in every of two choices: two stroke or 4 stroke. Dirk bikes which have two stroke engines are sometimes lighter than grime bikes with 4 stroke engines.
Two stroke engines are constructed to finish the identical motion with much less motion, so there are fewer components, making it lighter. In the event you’re trying to have a light-weight bike, you can begin your search by taking a look at grime bikes with two stroke engines. They’re, on common, lighter than the common grime bike with a 4 stroke engine.
Making Your Bike Lighter
Methods to cut back weight:
- Hit the Fitness center – Yeah, this doesn’t actually have something to do with the burden of your bike, however it does have quite a bit to do with the burden in your bike. In the event you’re changing nuts and bolts in your bike to save lots of minuscule ounces, making journeys to the gymnasium will make a a lot larger distinction than changing these screws will. Don’t make your bike lose all the burden, do your half too.
- Use Titanium Components – Like I simply talked about, you may exchange nuts, bolts, screws, and the like with lighter, titanium components. The draw back, as is so widespread with any sort of improve, is the value. Coming at (hopefully) no shock to anybody, titanium components are a tad bit spendy, so that you’re going to must weight the price of…effectively… price to learn and determine if that’s an improve you’re keen to make.
- Much less Fuel within the Tank – In the event you’re racing, do you actually want a full tank of gasoline? Are you truly going to expire earlier than the end line if you happen to don’t high off? Determine how lengthy the race is, determine what sort of mileage you get on the observe, and fill your bike up accordingly. Leaving out wherever from a half-gallon to a gallon of gasoline will take off numerous weight out of your grime bike, so if you happen to don’t want that full tank, don’t convey it to the observe.
- Substitute the Exhaust – The obvious and doubtless widespread alternative or alteration individuals make to their grime bikes to make them lighter is to interchange the exhaust. Usually made out of aluminum or stainless-steel, they add fairly a little bit of weight to your bike that may be lessened by changing it with, yep, you guessed it, titanium.
You may be pondering to your self “isn’t titanium heavier than aluminum”? Sure, it’s. In case you have two exhausts constructed to the very same measurements, one out of titanium, and one out of aluminum, the aluminum one will likely be lighter.
Titanium exhausts are lighter as a result of they aren’t constructed precisely like aluminum exhausts. Titanium is stronger, which implies titanium exhausts may be constructed to totally different, lighter and thinner specs.
- Use Lighter Plastics – There’s a great probability that your bike both has the plastics that it got here with nonetheless on it, otherwise you have changed them however for aesthetic functions. There are particular racing plastics you could purchase which are lighter, minimalist in order to not add further weight you don’t want, but in addition aerodynamically formed. Not solely do they give the impression of being improbable and weigh much less, however they assist the form of your bike to cut back the air resistance that happens once you hit excessive speeds. Are they sort of spendy? Yep. There actually is a “worth” connected to success.
Making Your Bike Heavier?
I’ve been assuming this complete time that you just’re wanting a lighter bike, however who is aware of, perhaps you need it heavier! And even if you happen to don’t, it’s at all times good to remain knowledgeable on the issues that may screw up your plans to take the burden off your bike.
In the event you don’t buy a street-legal bike and also you’re eager to journey it on public roads, there’s a great probability, relying on the legal guidelines the place you reside, that you’re going to must make alterations to your bike. The additions will… effectively add some issues onto it, which is able to, you guessed it, add extra weight.
Now, these guidelines will all differ relying on the legal guidelines the place you reside, so be sure you do your personal analysis into the legal guidelines in and surrounding the world the place you’re planning on driving your bike.
Any motorbike or grime bike wants to fulfill these necessities earlier than you’re allowed on state and federal roadways.
- DOT (Division of Transportation) permitted headlight, with a excessive and low beam perform.
- A headlight indicator mild seen to the operator to indicate when the excessive beam is working.
- A battery-powered, Division of Transportation permitted tail mild and brake mild (with a swap for each entrance and rear controls) which should function for at least 20 minutes with solely battery energy.
- Division of Transportation permitted flip indicators for bikes manufactured after January 1, 1973 (most states mandate this, however some don’t).
- A rearview mirror (often one, however some states require two).
- A horn (some states mandate an electrical horn).
- Division of Transportation permitted tires put in and outfitted in your bike.
- The gasoline tank must be DOT permitted (The FMVSS specifies metal, however virtually all states don’t implement this).
- An exhaust that’s in good condition, meets sound rules, and should not smoke overly.
To make issues just a little extra concise here’s a primary listing of stuff you’re going to have so as to add to your bike that may add weight.
- A Division of Transportation and CE licensed headlight.
- A tail/Brake Gentle
- Flip indicators
- Presumably a brand new exhaust
- A evaluate mirror (presumably two).
- A horn
- Presumably new tires.
- A speedometer or tachometer. This isn’t essentially a authorized requirement, however obeying the velocity restrict is, so it is best to in all probability understand how quick you’re going.
- A license plate bracket.
- A kickstand. Nope, it’s not a authorized requirement, but when your bike doesn’t have already got one, you’re going to want one mainly in every single place you go.
If you’re off-roading, there are some additions you may need to add to your bike that may add weight.
- A Skid Plate – It will defend the underside of your bike, particularly the engine, from issues like rocks, stumps, and holes within the street that might trigger injury that might trigger you to have to interchange or restore components of your bike. You will discover skid plates made out of aluminum, plastic, and carbon fiber.
- Handguards – Basically self-explanatory, these will defend your palms from kitting whipped by branches, or nailed by rocks thrown up from the path by your buddies on the street forward of you.
- A Bigger Gasoline Tank – Whether or not you’re off-roading or utilizing your bike on the principle roads, a much bigger gasoline tank isn’t a nasty thought if you happen to aren’t a racer. That being stated, if you happen to’re within the sort of race the place you need to make pit stops to get a refill, the longer you’re in a position to race, the much less time you’re spending within the pits, which is the time you need to use to get forward.
A lot to consider.