For some weird cause the speedometer cable on the W/NG broke the opposite day. It has been there for a few thousand miles, however wasn’t notably nicely lubricated so maybe that was the explanation. I would not thought of repairing a speedo cable earlier than, however there wasn’t a substitute accessible commercially and I wanted it for the VMCC run to Blakeney the next weekend, so I made a decision to aim a restore.
The primary try was to make use of the wonderous TIG set to weld a brief size of 4 mm spherical bar to the top. I filed it sq. and it regarded wonderful:
I made a bit of collar out of a little bit of 8 mm aluminium spherical bar and used Araldite to carry it in place:
It lasted 27 miles earlier than it broke in the identical place.
Wanting on the model new cable within the Huntmaster, I discovered that the sq. drive finish of the cable was made in aluminium and crimped to the cable finish. I made up an identical becoming within the lathe:
Glued in place, with JB Weld this time, I fitted it to the bike.
I would additionally purchased an affordable Garmin GPS cycle speedometer, pondering that I would want one if I ever used the Mannequin A on a membership run, which I actually will do in some unspecified time in the future. I am at the moment testing the brand new cable towards the Garmin, which reveals that the Chronometric on the W/NG reads about 5% excessive.