1. Bearing Removing
Use a protracted punch (ought to have a great edge)
Take away any Circlips or retainers. Insert the punch into the wheel and catch the sting of the bearing on the opposite facet. Utilizing a hammer, hit the punch and work across the complete circumference of the bearing.
The bearing and seal will finally be pushed out of the wheel hub. The second bearing might be eliminated utilizing a punch, a protracted socket or different appropriate driver.
Observe: The bearings might be broken through the removing course of and shouldn’t be reused. The hammer blows transmit their impression by means of the balls inflicting small flat spots, which is able to trigger the bearing to
shortly fail if reused.
- Internal Spacer: Test the bore to make sure it’s clear and the axle simply passes by means of it. Test every finish for put on and burrs. The perimeters should be sq. to seat correctly in opposition to the brand new bearings. If the outdated bearings failed it’s a good suggestion to substantiate that the middle spacer has not been broken. Be sure
the interior house is identical size or barely longer than the bearing stops within the hub or service.
- Wheel Hub: Clear the hub, eradicating any grime and corrosion. Make sure to not take away steel. This can adversely have an effect on bearing match.
Outer Wheel Spacers: Clear the outer wheel spacers and examine them for put on on both finish in addition to put on on the outer floor the place it makes contact with the seal. If the spacers are excessively worn they need to get replaced.
3. Bearing Set up
- Observe 1: Improper set up could cause bearing harm and dramatically lowering bearing life.
- Observe 2: Heating the wheel hub will trigger the hub to broaden barely and can make
bearing set up simpler.
Comply with the straightforward guidelines under to profitable bearing set up:
1. Apply stress ONLY to the outer race of the bearing.
2. Apply stress evenly so the bearing stays sq. to the wheel hub.
3. Seat the primary bearing absolutely.
4. Bear in mind to put the interior spacer between the bearings.
5. Faucet the second bearing in till the interior race simply touches the middle spacer. See fig 1 Totally seating the second bearing could trigger each bearings to turn into side-loaded inflicting untimely failure. See fig 2
6. If the middle spacer is free after the second bearing is put in this can be an indication that the middle spacer is simply too quick and must be changed or the second bearing must be taped in additional.
A free or worn middle spacer could cause the bearing to be side-loaded in the other way after the axel is torqued down. See fig 3