27 minutes in the past | Phrases: Jarrad Duffy | Pictures: GASGAS Bikes, Savage.Division
Everyone knows that the KTM Group (KTM, Husqvarna, and GASGAS) made some rattling spectacular enduro and motocross bikes for a large vary of the Aussie market, however have you ever ever regarded into the entire different vary they make, the cross-country bikes? Nicely, if you’re like us and might’t resolve if you’re a devoted bush warrior, fanatic off-road dash racer, or a motocross die-hard, then a cross-country bike would possibly simply be the perfect bike you’ve been chasing which may simply do all of it.
That will help you resolve, listed below are our ideas on the brand new five-model (EX250, EX300, EX250F, EX350F, EX450F) 2024 GASGAS EX (cross-country) vary after spinning the wheels on the current worldwide GASGAS media launch in Italy…
WHAT’S NEW ACROSS THE BOARD FOR 2024?
Like the opposite Austrian bikes within the KTM Group lineup, these 2024 Gassers are loopy totally different from their predecessors. You may get all of the particulars of those modifications right here, however listed below are the numerous modifications that we felt out on the monitor/path:
Body and Aluminum subframe: For 2024, all 16 of GASGAS fashions throughout enduro, motocross, and cross-country share the identical ‘stiffer’ body. We lately dove deep into the traits and design focus behind this new body on the ’24 KTM vary, however in brief, the brand new stiffer body improves dealing with stability at pace and improves cornering precision if you end up between the timber or navigating ruts, all whereas permitting the rear shock to do what it’s speculated to do: independently take up rear wheel impacts from braking bumps, roots, logs and many others. We had been impressed with how this new body labored throughout each disciplines.
Bodywork: The radiator shrouds are longer and pointier than ever, making the entire front-end of the bike really feel means narrower. And fewer prone to snag your boots when cranked over in deep ruts. Mix that with the all-new footpegs – which can be somewhat decrease, additional again and mounted extra inboard, the brand new peg/seat/handlebar triangle creates a extra impartial/pure stance on the bike. Plus, the added ankle- and calf-area on the revised form of the body guards, offer you a noticeably extra linked really feel with the bike and helps takes the load off your arms by permitting you to grip the bike extra along with your boots.
Engine: Whether or not it’s the brand new TBI (Throttle Physique Injection) system together with the brand new digital power-valve on the two-strokes, or the host of updates to the lighter and extra compact four-stroke motors – these ‘24 motors from GASGAS run clear, crisp, and create stronger energy all through the rev vary on all 16 fashions we examined. To be taught extra concerning the new motors and the way they had been developed, click on right here.
WHAT MAKES A GASGAS CROSS-COUNTRY EX MODEL DIFFERENT TO AN ENDURO EC MODEL?
- Suspension: The 2024 cross-country (EX) bikes from GASGAS run the all-new closed-cartridge WP XACT fork seen on the ’24 KTM and Husqvarna enduro bikes, however not the ’24 GASGAS enduro (EC) fashions. The WP XACT Closed-Cartridge fork fitted to the EX fashions is a a lot ‘racier’ feeling fork that excels when it’s being pushed by an intermediate-advanced rider. Making it a superb match for riders who’re on the lookout for a motorbike they will take racing at off-road occasions like a Transmoto 8-Hour and aren’t afraid to provide it a nudge when the monitor will get tough. However that does come at the price of small bump sensitivity and luxury within the entrance finish over terrain like tree roots and unfastened rocks if you’re extra of a weekend warrior path rider who rides at a sluggish tempo or likes it tighter and extra technical. And such as you would anticipate, dealing with the heavier hits and providing you with extra front-end hold-up (and higher front-end really feel) in quick turns within the bush, this stiffer WP XACT fork and XACT linkage rear shock eats up the onerous landings, braking bumps and deep ruts discovered on the moto monitor.
- Engine: The EX vary shares the identical engine platform because the motocross (MC) fashions, however takes the wide-ratio 6-speed gearbox discovered within the enduro (EC) fashions. So, in the event you like the concept of a bush weapon with extra of a free-revving nature with extra mid to top-end pull, you’re going to love the vibe of an EX engine. This was unreal when the paths had been flowing, and/or if you popped out of the bush onto the grasstrack. It actually felt such as you had jumped on a race bike when driving an EX, which impressed you to trip more durable than you ordinarily would on an EC (enduro) mannequin. However in saying that, an EX (cross-country) mannequin received’t have the bottom-end tractability and silky-smooth throttle off the underside such as you’d discover on an EC (enduro) mannequin.
- Pre-mixed (two-strokes solely): Becausethese EX aren’t designed for riders clocking up 100km plus rides, filling up on the servo, they smashing out one other tank of gas to get dwelling, they’re pre-mixed. Which means they don’t include the oil injection system discovered on the EC (enduro) two-stroke fashions. So that you’ve received to combine your individual 2T gasoline earlier than you haul arse (old skool fashion)!
- ADR compliance and registrability in Oz: If you’re fortunate sufficient (on this case) to stay and trip in Victoria or Tasmania, you possibly can just about skip this level due to your relaxed rec-rego legal guidelines offer you totally different highway guidelines to observe. However if you’re like the remainder of us dwelling within the different six states/territories of Oz, the draw back of those XC fashions is which you can’t register them as a ‘road-legal’ motorbike. Which is a buzz kill for many who don’t have entry to tracks/trails on non-public property and spend most of their driving days in state forests.
AND HOW IS IT DIFFERENT TO A GASGAS MC MOTOCROSSER?
- Enduro-sized 9L gas tank: Good for longer rides or off-road longer races than a conventional motocross moto.
- Facet stand: To make life simpler!
- 18-inch rear wheel: To maintain up with the calls for of off-road bush driving.
- Suspension: The EX vary options its very personal suspension setup, totally different to each the MXer’s XACT air fork and the enduro bike’s open-cartridge XPLOR spring fork. In addition to particular suspension settings and spring charges for every mannequin to greatest swimsuit the hybrid job these bikes are attempting to do by driving each motocross and off-road.
- Six-speed extensive ratio transmission: Nonetheless good on the moto monitor, however makes the EX higher suited to the highest speeds of bush fireplace trails in comparison with the motocross five-speed gearbox discovered within the four-stroke GASGAS MC (motocross) fashions).
WHAT MODELS DO GASGAS MAKE IN THE EX RANGE?
SO, IS A GASGAS EX MODEL THE BIKE FOR YOU?
Solely you possibly can resolve that one. However if you need our two cents, we expect these bikes are a bloody superior choice for riders and racers who aren’t chasing a comfortable path driving bike however need one thing that can maintain as much as the calls for of pushing their limits within the bush, grasstrack, and moto monitor. A cracking choice if you’re a Transmoto Enduro Occasion fanatic!