This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks, which assist to maintain Discerning Bicycle owner rolling. Study extra.
Biking in city environments might be considered one of life’s biggest joys. Feeling the wind in your hair, seeing a metropolis in a gorgeous new approach, and exploring the nooks and crannies past well-trodden paths are all issues that metropolis cyclists love about travelling on two wheels.
On this piece, we’ll discover among the finest cities on the planet for cyclists – from infrastructure to surroundings to tradition, these are the perfect spots throughout the globe to take your bike on an city journey.
What Makes a “Bike-Pleasant Metropolis”?
After we’re deciding what makes a ‘bike pleasant metropolis’, we’re in search of the next issues:
- Nice biking infrastructure, together with protected lanes
- Deprioritisation of automobiles in favour of bicycles
- Recognition of biking for every kind of causes
- Biking security
The Finest Bike Lanes within the World
So, the place can you discover the “finest bike lanes on the planet”? Beneath, we’ve listed the highest 12 places, together with some well-known biking cities and a few stunning ones you may not have anticipated…
A Dutch metropolis takes prime spot on this checklist, however perhaps not the one you had been anticipating… Utrecht has been ranked essentially the most bike-friendly metropolis on the planet by Luko’s World Bicycle Cities Index 2022.
Biking in Utrecht
Round 51 per cent of Utrecht’s inhabitants are cyclists, which is simply staggering. There’s over 420 km of cycle paths, loads of parking services, and the town can also be residence to the Netherlands’ first official cycle path, which was in-built 1885 on the Maliebaan.
33,000 cyclists cycle alongside Utrecht’s busiest route day by day, and 56% of Utrecht residents go to the town centre by bicycle, making it the preferred technique to go to this space.
Utrecht Bike Lanes
Utrecht already has a lot of cycle paths and an ideal perspective in the direction of biking from residents, nevertheless it’s nonetheless investing in enhancements. Town is implementing sensible site visitors indicators, devoted quick lanes for e-bikes, and is increasing the variety of bicycle parking areas to file breaking ranges.
Bikes are prioritised over automobiles, and native politicians purpose to double the usage of bicycle commuting site visitors by 2030.
Utrecht Biking Statistics
- 87% of Utrecht residents are happy with the town centre’s accessibility by bike
- 94% of Utrecht residents have a number of bicycles
- 51% of the inhabitants cycle
- Utrecht has 420km of cycle paths, and that is solely set to extend and enhance
Copenhagen commonly tops lists of the world’s finest biking cities, and it’s straightforward to see why.
Biking in Copenhagen
62% of Copenhagen’s residents’ journeys to work or faculty are by bike, and folks within the Danish capital cycle 894,000 miles day by day. These are actually spectacular statistics, and ones made attainable by wonderful biking infrastructure.
Greater than $45 per capita is spent on bicycle infrastructure investments, which is spent on a whole lot of miles of cycle lanes, lots of that are separated from automobile lanes and pavements for a secure biking expertise.
Copenhagen Bike Lanes
Presently, Copenhagen boasts 220 miles of curb segregated cycle tracks, 14 miles of on-street cycle lanes and 27 miles of off-street inexperienced cycle routes working by way of parks and inexperienced areas.
Town plans to increase this providing with 43 miles of cycle tracks and 42 miles of inexperienced routes by 2026, so the perfect is but to return on this already wonderful metropolis for biking.
Copenhagen Biking Statistics
- A mean of 5.7 million kilometres are cycled between every severe accident
- Greater than three quarters of Copenhagen residents really feel secure whereas biking
- 62% of Copenhagen residents’ commutes to work or faculty are by bike
- 9 out of 10 individuals in Copenhagen personal a motorcycle
- There are over 250 miles of cycle lanes within the metropolis
Once you consider biking cities, you in all probability consider Amsterdam. Let’s take a look at what makes the Dutch capital so nice for biking.
Biking in Amsterdam
It’s reported that there are extra bikes in Amsterdam than individuals, which is actually fairly thoughts blowing. Town made international headlines in January 2023 because it opened an underwater bike storage serving its central station, offering low cost, secure parking for 7,000 bicycles.
Amsterdam can also be including to its already spectacular biking infrastructure by including new routes, widening present cycle tracks, constructing low-speed cycle streets and redesigning main intersections to permit for extra protected biking area.
Amsterdam Bike Lanes
Amsterdam has roughly 320 miles of devoted cycle lanes, and as with all main Dutch cities, it has designated ‘bicycle civil servants’ to assist keep and enhance the community.
Bike lanes in Amsterdam have particular cycle site visitors lights, and generally are even bodily separate from each street and pavement. They’re usually one-way however there are some two-lane bike paths too.
Amsterdam Biking Statistics
- 63% of Amsterdam residents cycle each day
- There are 1.91 bicycles per family in Amsterdam
- There are 4 instances extra bikes in Amsterdam than automobiles
- Mixed, Amsterdam’s cyclists bike two million kilometres a day
For a very long time, Strasbourg has been France’s prime biking metropolis — right here’s why.
Biking in Strasbourg
Strasbourg has its city biking community completely sorted, and has expanded its technique to different areas together with modernisation, encouraging new riders, increasing cycle highways into suburbs, and taking a more in-depth have a look at the advantages of cargo bikes.
The bicycle is the preferred type of transport in Strasbourg, and there are many sensible methods to see the town this fashion whether or not you’re a neighborhood commuting to work or a vacationer desirous to discover all of the sights.
Strasbourg Bike Lanes
With 600 km of motorcycle paths protecting the entire city space of Strasbourg, there’s loads of floor to cowl in your bicycle right here. It’s ranked essentially the most bike pleasant metropolis in France, and the fourth most bike pleasant metropolis in Europe, backed by an enormous biking tradition throughout all walks of life.
Bike lanes undergo city areas, alongside canals, by way of parks and inexperienced areas and extra, so there’s no purpose to not see the town out of your saddle.
Strasbourg Biking Statistics
- Greater than 17% of individuals cycle to work in Strasbourg
- 130,000 individuals trip on the town’s bike routes day by day
- Strasbourg has 600 km of motorcycle paths
Again to France, and this time to the capital, which has seen one thing of a metamorphosis, as our video under explains:
Biking in Paris
Cyclists in Paris used to must share their lanes with buses, however now the French capital is getting loads extra devoted cycle tracks, together with protected lanes on the Champs-Elysées. These new biking services have yielded wonderful outcomes, with cyclists making up a better share of site visitors in some areas and Parisian youngsters using their bikes greater than ever earlier than.
Paris Bike Lanes
From 2015 to 2020, the Paris biking plan noticed 150 million Euros invested in Paris’s bike lanes, doubling the variety of cycle paths and renewing Parisians’ curiosity in biking. Now, for the subsequent 5 years, the town goals to make Paris a “100% biking metropolis”, investing in infrastructure, parking options and bettering the biking ecosystem.
This plan will construct on the present 1,000 km of motorcycle lanes and 300 km of motorcycle tracks already obtainable within the metropolis.
Paris Biking Statistics
- As of 2021, round 15% of journeys in Paris are made by bike
- Between now and 2026, Paris will achieve 180 km of everlasting segregated bike lanes
- Round 1 million individuals in Paris trip bikes each day
Subsequent up is Oslo, the place the Nordic local weather doesn’t cease the cyclists.
Biking in Oslo
Oslo units an ideal instance in overcoming robust climate circumstances to supply nice biking alternatives. In 2017, automobiles had been banned from a lot of Oslo’s city centre, and investments had been made in site visitors calming all through the town and eradicating over 1,000 parking areas in favour of biking and strolling.
Oslo Bike Lanes
Oslo has a lot of scenic cycle routes, and it’s a brief distance between the town centre and the gorgeous Norwegian countryside.
Since 2015, Oslo has applied 50 km of motorcycle lanes, eliminated parking areas equal to 4,250, and lowered velocity limits so almost two thirds of the street community is beneath 30 km/hr, making the town way more cyclist-friendly.
Oslo Biking Statistics
- Bicycle site visitors elevated 77% between 2014 and 2020
- In the identical interval, the variety of residents agreeing that ‘biking in Oslo is secure’ elevated from 9% to twenty-eight%
- In 2019, Oslo held seventh place for finest bicycle metropolis within the Copenhagenize Bicycle Pleasant Index, up from nineteenth in 2017
This Canadian metropolis is nice for cyclists.
Biking in Montreal
In 2017, Montreal elected its new Mayor, Valérie Plante, who had a lot of constructive concepts round bicycle infrastructure and funding in public transport, leading to a daring cycling-focused undertaking. There’s a thriving bike tradition, and the infrastructure is simply getting higher.
Montreal Bike Lanes
To be accomplished later this decade, the REV, Réseau specific vélo, is a 184 km bike path undertaking that connects numerous factors of curiosity within the metropolis and can complement the 50 or so miles of protected bike lanes already obtainable.
The remainder of the community includes 1,001 km of motorcycle lanes, lots of which can be found yr spherical — come snow or sunshine.
Montreal Biking Statistics
- There have been 1.1 million individuals who rode bikes in Montreal in 2020
- In 2020, 600,000 individuals used a motorcycle as a way of transportation within the metropolis, which is a 42-per-cent improve from 2015
- Most of Montreal’s cyclists are weekend riders
One other French metropolis makes the checklist! Right here’s why Bordeaux is so nice for cyclists.
Biking in Bordeaux
Bordeaux is working to prioritise biking as a mode of transportation, and the current banning of automobiles from the historic Pont de Pierre bridge was an enormous milestone, permitting for a 20% improve in cycle site visitors within the space. Plus, the town’s administration continues to take away automobile area to permit for extra sustainable transport choices, so it’s one to look at.
Bordeaux Bike Lanes
In Bordeaux, there are round 200km of cycle paths providing beautiful routes for biking. There may be room for enchancment, although, as the bulk are simply painted lanes and never protected cycle tracks, and residents hope for higher cycle hyperlinks to extra suburban areas.
Bordeaux Biking Statistics
- Ranked sixth most cycling-friendly metropolis on the planet in 2017
- Solely 22 miles of cycle tracks
- Bordeaux’s Biking Plan 2017-2020 introduced 70 million Euros of spending on biking within the metropolis
One other Nordic capital makes the checklist – we’re heading to Finland,
Biking in Helsinki
Helsinki goals to be the world’s finest metropolis for sustainable transport, and is working to enhance its already good share of individuals utilizing bicycles to get across the metropolis.
There’s a vibrant biking group within the Finnish capital, which solely bodes effectively for the town’s development.
Helmet utilization may be very excessive in Helsinki, and folks cycle all yr spherical, even if the town’s fashionable bike share scheme shuts down within the freezing winter months.
Helsinki Bike Lanes
The Finnish capital has over 800 miles of bicycle infrastructure and 12 miles of cycle highways – with one other 87 miles deliberate – and is focusing on central corridors for extra bicycle-focused roads.
Helsinki Biking Statistics
- 25% of Helsinki’s residents cycle each day or virtually each day, whereas 29% cycle 2-3 instances per week
- Biking makes up 11% of all journeys made in Helsinki, 19% of commutes to work and 20% of commutes to highschool
- Regardless of the chilly winter temperatures, 13% of Helsinki’s grownup residents cycle all yr spherical
Portland loves cyclists, and cyclists love Portland.
Biking in Portland
Portland is a superb metropolis for biking whether or not you’re a resident commuting to work or a vacationer seeking to discover on two wheels. It has an in depth system of motorcycle routes and encourages biking tradition by way of a wide range of occasions, from the Pedalpalooza Bike Competition to Portland’s World Bare Bike Trip for extra adventurous riders!
Portland Bike Lanes
Portland has miles of protected bike lanes, lovely parks to discover on two wheels, and incredible bike routes by way of among the metropolis’s most iconic neighbourhoods.
The community includes almost 400 miles of bikeways, together with 100 miles of low-stress neighbourhood greenways in addition to multi use paths. Most Portlanders stay inside 1 / 4 of a mile of a bikeway!
Portland Biking Statistics
- As of 2017, 6.3% of Portland commuters go by bike – the best share of motorcycle commuters for a big American metropolis
- 374% extra individuals biked to work in 2017 than in 2000
- 80% of cyclists in Portland put on helmets
- 35% of Portland’s cyclists are feminine
Subsequent, we’re off to the capital of Colombia, which is making big biking features in recent times.
Biking in Bogotá
Whereas Bogotá remains to be very car-heavy, it deserves an honourable point out for the features it’s made in bettering its biking tradition.
Bogotá has change into world well-known for popularising the ciclovía, a weekly occasion on Sundays which sees over 60 miles of the town’s streets closed to automobiles, enabling residents to discover by bike or on foot.
Greater than half of all Bogotá households have not less than one bike, and there are many metropolis bikes obtainable to lease too.
Bogotá Bike Lanes
Bogotá’s city-wide biking community includes greater than 600km of streets – one of many largest on the planet, and essentially the most in depth in Latin America.
In the course of the Covid-19 pandemic, mayor Claudia López, a eager bicycle owner herself, created 84km of short-term lanes to permit for socially-distanced biking, the vast majority of which have now been made everlasting.
Town goals so as to add 280km of motorcycle lanes by 2024, and hopes to have 50% of journeys made by bike or different transport, comparable to scooters.
Bogotá Biking Statistics
- In 2017, over 9% of journeys in Bogotá had been made on two wheels, and it’s estimated that this climbed to 13% in 2020
- Over 50% of all Bogotá households have not less than one bike
- Bogotá’s weekly ciclovías are utilized by roughly 2 million individuals, about 20% of the inhabitants
Let’s see what the American metropolis of Minneapolis has to supply cyclists.
Biking in Minneapolis
Individuals in Minneapolis, Minnesota are devoted to biking. Town has been restructured to cater to biking, with miles of motorcycle paths and beautiful routes to discover.
Minneapolis ranks as among the best biking cities within the USA, and boasts the third-highest five-year common of bicycle commuting for giant US cities in response to the 2017 census.
Minneapolis Bike Lanes
Minneapolis has 98 miles of motorcycle lanes, 101 miles of off-street bikeways and trails, and 16 miles of on-street protected bikeways, so it’s straightforward to see why using a motorcycle is among the hottest methods to get across the metropolis.
Minneapolis Biking Statistics
- As of 2014, Minneapolis had 226 miles of motorcycle lanes and trails
- It has extra bike lanes and trails per sq. mile (5.8) than some other main metropolis within the US
- Minneapolis is residence to among the largest items of bicycle infrastructure within the US, together with the Midtown Greenway which is utilized by a median of 4,100 cyclists per day
Which Metropolis Has the Most Bike Lanes within the World?
With, 1,350 miles of motorcycle lanes, New York is believed to have essentially the most bikes lanes on the planet.
Sadly, this doesn’t inform fairly the entire story, with solely 126 miles of on-street lanes protected with a bodily barrier from motorists, and it’s uncommon to discover a direct route that runs fully, and even principally, on bike lanes – so in a metropolis that’s nonetheless so car-heavy, which means biking in New York can nonetheless be tough.